Unemployment Emotion Stress Career Financial Opportunity

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Focus On Your Goal


I attended a very powerful talk in Macau last  October 2011.  One of the striking points that was  instilled in my mind was about the 3 P's to become successful.  The first one was Patience, the second  one was Persistence, and the third one was  "Pocus"  (Focus).  Everyone laughed.  But the message was crystal clear not just to me, but to all of us.


Yes, it's true.  If we have a goal that we want to  reach, we need patience and persistence.  Or else, we would give up easily really soon specially when we come to the difficult part on reaching this.  Since there will be hurdles and bumps along the way, therefore we need these first two P's.


Another major ingredient in success is the 3rd P - "Pocus" (Focus).  The question now is - what are we constantly focusing on today?


"...Seek and you shall find..." Matthew 7:7


Even if we have loads of patience and persistence but focuses on the wrong stuff, the goal will never  be reached. Most people misses opportunities.They  miss these things that would lead them to their  success,  not for the lack of focus, but for focusing on stuff that would lead them nowhere.
   
Let me share to you 1 experience I had just recently.  This experience is very simple,  yet the message it gave me was like a megaphone to remind me to stay focused.


Trash Can Experience


One relaxing weekend afternoon, I went to the dining table to eat my merienda.  After eating, I then went in the kitchen to throw away the plastic that contained my food.  I looked for the 2 small trash cans that used to be found in one part of the kitchen, but could not find it.  I looked again, and again.  Searching in all areas of the kitchen but still I could not find it.  When I was about to give up, suddenly, I noticed that there was a bigger trash can just right in front of me, waiting for me to throw my trash! I did not see that because I was looking for the 2 small trash cans.


What is your goal this 2012?


Do you have a goal that you want to achieve?  Did you have a goal last 2011 that you were not able to finish it yet?  It's never too late to finish the run.


As for me, one of my goals is to reach a certain income level in one of my businesses. It has been  more than a year that I started the business, and found out that it was not that easy.  I encountered a lot of rejections and failures along the way, and it really weakened me.  Because of this, there are several attempts to quit in the business.  I no longer have the energy to go on. I became focused on the rejections and feared more rejections.  Because of this, I became slow in spotting opportunities that would potentially help me in growing my business. When I became aware of that opportunity, it was already gone.  And these opportunities often times just shows up right in front of my face!  Even if I could have acted upon it with lesser effort.  But since I focus on my failures and fears of rejections, it just slips away.  And there is a sense of regret.


But then again, missed opportunities doesn't mean failure.  "It's part of growing" (a friend of mine likes saying this line).  It's a constant reminder to stay focused and adjust your focus so that it will point to the right one.  There will always be opportunities coming.  It will never cease to flow.  So, just focus and keep on looking for this so you won't miss it.  And that you may finish this strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read More of My Page