Unemployment Emotion Stress Career Financial Opportunity

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

One Thing I Did Not Miss In My Corporate World



I was just in my previous office this afternoon.  They requested a training on an application that I handled during my office days.  It had been 4 months since the day of my retrenchment.  I thought to myself... hmmm.. just for a day..... uhmmm... Why not?.... So, I immediately agreed to the offer.  And I thought, I haven't visited our company for a long time now. 

Unfortunately, I had to go to Quezon City for an errand that morning.   So I went. Due to severe traffic, I got to the office before lunch time. We just ate lunch first before starting with the training.  


We started the training at around 2 in the afternoon.  One of the attendee started feeling really drowsy.  And in a matter of minutes, he was already asleep.  I felt really insulted since he did not even attempted to awaken himself.  I should understand him since I also have that tendency - falling asleep during trainings.  But at that moment I felt really bad.  And thought that what the company was paying me was put into waste.  And my effort was also put to waste.  What was worse was he went out to buy food.  Woah! To think he was still new in the office.  It's such a very degrading act.  I started asking myself... Am I that boring? Hmmm.....maybe....Maybe I lacked passion for this since I'm not an expert on this application.


When I checked the time, it was almost 5 pm.  So, I just finished the training and told them just to ask the next trainer if they have more questions.  


Looking back at my office days.... I spent a lot of idled hours and wasted time.  There were lots of boring moments and very unproductive days.  That was one huge vacation I did at the office. I was like a big slob in our office.  Sometimes I felt really useless and worthless.  There were no more projects and we just were trying to keep ourselves busy.  I became an expert... on facebook and youtube.  I had mixed feelings of contentment, uselessness and incompetence.  


Yes, being employed in an office gives you a sense of security specially financially.  But in the midst of that security still lies insecurity and feeling of lacking of self worth.  No offense to all companies out there.  I'm speaking about companies that does not have continuous projects.  Or even if there are continuous projects, is this really what you are passionate about?  Do you really love what you are doing?  Are you really excellent on what you are doing?  


As far as what I have observed during my training, the attendees were not really into this project.  One is not a bit interested, and the other is trying really hard to understand what I was talking about.  And as for myself, I could not even explain it really well since my understanding on this application until now is really shallow.  In other words, as far as honesty is concerned, I admit that I too am incompetent for this application.  


All of us have a choice.  Why not do the things that matters most?  Why not do the things that we really love doing that is worth paying?  We are too blinded by corporate looks and big buildings.  Why waste our time sleeping in the office?  Life is precious.   Let's not waste it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read More of My Page